That was 2011
Tis the season to write reviews of the year, so jumping on a bandwagon for once…
Our bi year highlights:
* The biggest UK BiCon ever with 297 people over four days in Leicester
* Bi Visibility Day on 23rd September having a bigger profile than ever – Bi Day website september23 reported double the traffic they had in 2010 (and two bi events marking LGBT History Month – not a lot, but twice the previous best!)
* Good bi coverage from Auntie for once as Tom Robinson talked bi past and bi present on Radio 4
* That New York Times headline breaking the shock news that Bisexual Men Exist.
* Bi community activists being invited to Obama’s White House LGBT reception (sadly the same didn’t seem to happen over here for Number 10’s LGBT shin-dig)
* Jessie J as an out bi woman sweeping the boards at the Mobo awards
* Bristol BiVisible launching Greedy, the first regular bi club night in the UK since the Fencesitter’s Ball closed down
* Manchester BiPhoria launching Getting Bi In A Gay/Straight World, a very pretty and pocketable publication
* Four people presented with Cake Awards recognising their work in and for the bi community
* A massive bi showing in the Homo Hero awards with bi nominees making the three-name shortlist in every possible category
* Also in gong news – Stonewall’s awards shortlisting bis Jessie J and Lady Gaga
* And many more bis in the media talking openly about being bi
* Civil partnerships on religious premises going through, and date set for the move toward same-sex marriage. It’s a slow path to our relationships not being treated differently depending on our partner’s gender, but we’re getting there!